Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A Gift





“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”

- Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

I love this quote. It reminds me that there are gifts in every situation if we stop for a moment to look. Take an injury for example, suddenly, you’re unable to train the way you have been and you’re sidelined. The gift lies in the forced change - now you have time to focus on your mental journey which is vital to your physical journey.

I’ve been there. I’ve broken ribs, broken toes, a broken ankle, whiplash, a concussion, and now a chronic back issue. However none of these have stopped me, although they could have. I was given a gift each time. A time to reevaluate my training, how I train, and a time to highlight and address my other deficiencies. I was forced to adapt and to grow, and received a chance to take my training to the next level. It’s hard to give specific examples, however they have been present.

Kung Fu has given me the gift of patience, of increased empathy and compassion, of knowing that my arbitrary limits are just that. Kung Fu has given me the gift of mastery development, a safe place to challenge myself, and another family filled with likeminded people.

Today, gave me the gift of time with 2 toddlers who brought sunshine to my day. I had the gift of teaching our smallest students, and practicing my forms. And I had the gift of time with my husband, which I always appreciate.

Today is a gift you can give to yourself.

No comments: