Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Cranes for peace

I started folding cranes many years ago. We had a 1000 crane project back then and folding them is something that stuck with me. Folding cranes made me feel peaceful while I worked. The process of emptying my mind, and focusing on just that one thing soothed my soul, and relieved stress.

This project speaks to me on a few levels. First, the sense of peace within. How do we spread peace if we don't feel it inside? An important phrase in our kwoon is Lu Ping An - walking in peace and harmony. For me, it means that when my body and soul feel peace, then it will spread from me to the people around me, and then to the world. Peace for all beings, for all plants. I don't always feel peaceful, but folding cranes provides me with a great tool to achieve that.

This project also speaks to me as a way to show the world that the way to peace isn't with fighting or hurting each other, or condemning each other. It's a non verbal way of expressing my values.

If you aren't familiar with the story of Sadako Sasaki I encourage you to read it. Basically, this project of folding 1000 started with her. An atomic bomb was dropped in Hiroshima in 1945 when she was 2 years old. Years later, at the age of 12 she became sick with leukemia. A result of all of the lingering radiation. According to Japanese legend, a person who folds 1000 cranes will be granted a wish. Her wish was for world peace. And so is mine.

I want to thank those of you who have been folding cranes, and we will get to our goal soon. I estimate about 300 at is point, and will have them hanging in the school.