Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alpha




Yesterday was our annual boot camp, and while I didn’t make it to the morning seminars, I was there for the afternoon and the couple that I was most looking forward to.


I missed the Alpha training by Karen Chambers the last time she was out 5 years ago, so it was really great to take part yesterday. I discovered that I have been using a lot of these techniques already, however I came away with some insight and ideas. And the opportunity to try one presented itself tonight.


My daughters were exhausted from the weekend Kung Fu Kids camp. Which is good. They played hard, and had a great time. My youngest daughter is a great sleeper, so while the storm tonight presented a little challenge for her to fall asleep in, it was an enormous obstacle for my oldest.


While lying in bed with her, I decided to try some guided meditation to help her relax, and hopefully drift off to sleep. She found her happy place, and it seemed to work - her breathing slowed down, and I could feel her whole body loosen up. However, those efforts were little for the lasting storm. Whenever I thought she was asleep, a clap of thunder would wake her again. I discovered though, that while guiding her meditation, I was also relaxed. The good thing is, I think I can use this with her on a more regular basis, and maybe, just maybe she can start doing it herself.




No comments: