Sunday, July 5, 2009

Running on reserve


Sleep. A precious gift, and yet it can be something to seek with frustration when it won’t come.

I have an uncanny ability to sleep. I can almost always nap when I need to if the opportunity is there, and for the most part, I don’t have many troubles falling asleep. It also seems, that the more stressed I am, the more my body craves it.

My youngest daughter also has no troubles sleeping. Sleep comes easily and quickly, and she sleeps when she feels tired and does not need coaxing. In fact, she has always needed it. I remember being worried about how she would do in Kindergarten because she was still having afternoon rests. She adapted though, and still does well.

My oldest however, is a completely different story. From the time she was a baby, I struggled to get her to sleep. Her mind is extremely active, and her worries come alive at night. She sleep walks when she is under stress, although not so much now that she is older. The problem now is the night’s that she refuses to settle down. I don’t know if it’s a conscious thing to fight sleep, or if she is so focused on sleeping that she can’t.

A lack of sleep has a profound effect on our attitudes and our ability to cope with everyday situations. It’s hard to focus on the task at hand, difficult to concentrate, and over time, your body’s ability to fight sickness is very compromised. And how hard is it to stay positive in the sleep deprived state? Everything becomes more challenging, and frustration always seems to be just below the surface.

How much more difficult is it tackle a new technique in Kung Fu when you are tired? Or to stay calm enough to break it down? How much harder is it to deal with anxiety when your brain is at it’s maximum because of a sleep deficit?

My daughter struggles with this constantly, and I do my best to help her. I am hoping that along with our regular sleep routine, and maybe some relaxation techniques, I can help her get more and better quality sleep. It will help her in school, Kung Fu, and in every aspect of her life.

I also have to stay cognizant of my sleep deprivation, because when I am deprived, I am not able to stay patient for long to help her. And all the caffeine in the world won’t help. I need to take care of me, so that I can give my girls the best care possible.

They say that kids age 7 to 12 or so, need about 10 to 11 hours of sleep a day. Teens need between 8 to 10 hours a day, as do adults.

No comments: