Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Other LIfe


If I had never discovered Kung Fu, my life would have been so different. I have a lifestyle now that I am proud of, and that makes me feel good to share with my children.

My life may have been like this. Evenings of watching tv, and lounging around. Days gone by without any personal goals accomplished, but still dreamed of. My kids wanting all the latest gadgets, and meeting up with friends to play with said gadgets. We would probably make less healthy food choices. I don’t imagine my girls and I would eat fresh spinach (I hated spinach as a kid) and vegetables, or eat foods with whole grains, or fish that wasn’t deep fried.

We might not have the same sense of our environment, and the impact we have on it. Would my girls be less interested in the world around them and would I? I imagine that we would not care so much about our consumption, or how we could help build tomorrow.

I believe our lives would be mediocre, and we would have been unaware of it. That scares me. The thought that I (we) would have had lives where we had just gone through the motions, and not pushed ourselves to be more. How rich would our lives have been?

I have Kung Fu to thank for the life we have. My oldest daughter might still be the extremely shy girl she was, and my youngest daughter might be more of a follower, and not a leader.

How would my parenting be different? Would I have expected less from my kids, and therefore not helped them realize their potential?

I am so thankful that I chose the path I did, and I have no regrets. I feel that we are way more than we could have been, and we still have way more to grow.

No comments: