Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Color Blue


I am blue. With some gold, a touch of orange and a touch of green. A couple weeks ago, I took a Myers Briggs test as a team building workshop at work. It was fun, and interesting. We have a variety of “colors” in our office as well as being diverse generationally.

So being blue, I am extremely introverted, and get my energy from within. I seek solitude to decompress. and try to be a peace maker.

It was interesting to compare to the last time I took this test in 2004, and the results were different. Back then, I was gold, with some blue, and a touch of orange and green. The biggest difference is that now I am more introverted.

This makes sense to me, especially with my training. I enjoy all the aspects of it, but I get the most enjoyment out of doing my forms. It’s just me. That doesn’t make me selfish, nor does it mean I don’t enjoy working with a partner or group. I just get the most out of the alone time. This also explains why I enjoy being at the school a little early on Saturday mornings, so that I can practice a little by myself.

On the other hand, you take an event like the boot camp yesterday. There is a lot of energy, and camaraderie that flows throughout the day, that brings a lot of positive feelings. I didn’t participate fully, but being in that group of great people, made me cherish every moment. When our community comes together like that, it reminds me of the difference we make all the time.

Now while I did feed off the energy of the students yesterday, I was glad to be back in my car, to regroup from the day. I needed that.

This brings me to being in the moment. Something I noticed yesterday, was that when I am teaching the kids, I don’t have much problem staying in the moment. Maybe that’s because they are so busy, I don’t have time to leave the moment. I also feel very energized after the end of the class, but also exhausted. It’s kind of weird. Anyway, they make me happy, and that’s all that matters.

Now my blueness and I need to go relax some more...

No comments: