Sunday, August 2, 2009

Family


I took my kids to see the demo we put on at Rotary Park yesterday. It was a really different experience for me to be on the sidelines and watching. I really miss participating, as I have done that for a long time.

It gave me a whole different perspective on things though. I know my appreciation for the hard work, dedication and courage of the students to get out there and perform in front of a large group of people was up front and center. It was also nice to be able to sit with my kids, and enjoy the demo, which was really great. The team did the school proud, and I am especially proud to be a part of it.

I didn’t go to the demo on Canada Day, because mentally I wasn’t up to facing not being involved. However, my perspective was skewed, and at least now I am maybe starting to accept my injury, and work within my limits. I do still have a lot of work there though.

I have a chronic injury from 3 years ago, that I have learned to live with and work around. My ribs kept me from a lot of training, and I still cannot do a black belt pushup without pain. But it is something I have accepted. Why is it so hard for me to do that with my ankle? I desperately want to train hard again, and I have really struggled with the concept of progressing wisely with it. I have made a lot of bad decisions with my ankle, and have only prolonged my recovery.

But watching the demo yesterday gave me some inspiration. I will be able to do that again, but I have to be smart about it. I am going to need reminders from my Kung Fu family however, since I can be really idiotic when it comes to my injuries.

The cane form has actually been really good for me in this regard. It isn’t taxing on my ankle at all, and has allowed me to really focus on an aspect of my training without hampering my recovery. It feels good to have been able to push hard with the cane, and feels even better to know I can perfect it without doing damage to myself.

To all of you who participated in the demo on August 1st. You guys were awesome, and made me proud to share those moments with you. (I am going to live vicariously through you for a while if you don’t mind.)

No comments: