Sunday, March 1, 2009

A is for apple


I went on a course this week at Canada Place. It was something my managers felt myself and two others had to have, but I am not sure how I can apply this new found information. It was actually a fairly boring class, with a couple of people who obviously felt they were too important to be on time and left for hours at a time to take care of things at work. I am not against taking care of things, however if you cannot attend a course for 4 days without interruptions, maybe you should’ve stayed at work.

I know I got fairly irritated this week, when this one particular person was always gone, on her blackberry, or just late. She was in my group for our ongoing assignments, and it was hard for me to a) take her seriously and b) consider her opinions. I put an effort into this course, even though I was somewhat bored. I tried my best to respect everyone around me. I learned a lot about other Government departments, and gathered information that does have some benefit.

Personally, I think if you are taking the time of your instructor and fellow classmates, then you should give it all you have. Your full attention, your focus, and your input. This applies to Kung Fu as well.

If a person goes to class, but decides to talk, and misses some important step or information, how does that affect everyone around them? I know I get distracted when someone talks, and it affects my focus. And why should an instructor have to repeat themselves?

If a person is always late, then how it is perceived? Is it respectful to everyone around them? They don’t seem to care about anyone else, and it is difficult to earn anyone’s respect.

My lesson this week, was the importance of respecting your instructors and fellow classmates time and skill. A person cannot advance if you are not humble enough to accept what is being taught, and to be fully engaged in what you are learning.

No comments: