Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Definition


How does Kung Fu define me? That is a question I found myself asking this week, as I was thinking about my personal requirements.

After open training yesterday, it was crystal clear. I love forms. They make me feel good, and I feel fairly confident, even if I don’t know the form very well. I love how my body moves, and how the techniques are used.

So this tells me something. While I cannot and will not stop focusing on my forms, I do really need to work on my power and meanness. I now need a plan to improve my power and meanness. Now what is the best way to go about that?

First I guess, I need to work on healing. My ankle is still bothering me, and yesterday’s 2 hours of careful forms work has left me with a price to pay today. Oops. It is hard to stay away. But I think, that perhaps I can work on my hand techniques which will give me an opportunity to rest the ankle. Shadow boxing, maybe some bag work. Sparring is pretty much not an option yet, so this should be a good start.

The physical fitness aspect of Kung Fu has also defined me. I like the feeling of being in decent shape, and hope to never lose that.

My pushups have been going well. I am still doing them on my knees, but compared to 6 months ago, I am doing pretty good. I can now do about 20 in one rep, and my ribs are holding up. Yay!!!

It feels good to be training again. Lightly of course, but I have really missed it. It was difficult to be sedentary to allow for healing, and extremely frustrating. Oh well. It gets a little better every day, except for maybe today. Ha Ha.

No comments: