Monday, August 3, 2020

Appreciation


Yesterday, my dad celebrated his 70th birthday. It seems strange to me that he has entered his 7th decade already because he just doesn’t seem to fit that number. However, it got me thinking about the future. My dads parents both passed away in their 70’s and so has his oldest brother. If we go by genetics alone, I don’t have a lot of time left with my dad. And I can’t imagine that. We lost my mom 8 years ago, and my dad and I have been pretty close ever since. (My kids have too)

I bring this up as I have been thinking about our legacies - what we leave behind and to whom. Who have we left a positive impact on, how has our kindness improved the lives of those we touch? I have so much more to learn, and yet it’s difficult for me to squeeze very much into my brain at a time. I feel almost an urgency to absorb as many lessons as I can, but yet I know that isn't realistic. Not for me anyway. I just have to focus on learning what I can, so that I can pass it along. Let’s keep Kung Fu going for another 2000 years!

No comments: