Sunday, August 9, 2020

Intimidation or Inspiration?


Have you ever been in the same class, course, or workplace where you are forced to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses constantly?  And when I say forced, I mean you can’t help but compare yourself to others and wonder why they are better, or are more deserving of the goal you are both working towards?  


Even though I know better, I do this.  I try to catch myself though, and remind myself of how I have different strengths and therefore bring something else valuable to the table.  In Kung Fu, it can be easy to compare yourself to another student.  One minute you are at the same belt level with the same stripes, and then all of a sudden, they have moved ahead of you.  You wonder why, and you start to question if you are any good at anything.  Maybe you are at the same level, both in a grading year and you question if you are even ready - you’re clearly (to you) not even close to the same level, and maybe you should just resign and try again next time.


The key to overcoming this and something I work on all the time, is to remind yourself that you are unique.  You have your own special gifts and strengths that set you apart.  How boring would it be if we were all good at the same things?  When you decide you aren’t good enough, mediocrity sets in and suddenly things you found easy once are more difficult.  


Ups and downs in our training is natural, but it’s what we do with our attitude that matters.  Once we put our ego aside, and focus on what we CAN do, then our attitude will improve.  Our downs in training are less down, and we start to value what we do bring to those around us.  


You are unique.  You are important.  You are amazing.


No comments: