Monday, April 30, 2018

Humility, empathy and compassion


“What humility does for one is it reminds us that there are people before me. I have already been paid for. And what I need to do is prepare myself so that I can pay for someone else who has yet to come but who may be here and needs me.” - Maya Angelou -

I love this quote. It says so much, and applies to everything. We pay our respect for those that came before us when we bow in and out of class. I think about this every time I am on the mats. Because of those that have given us this gift of Kung Fu, I am able to learn, and pass it on to the students of today. And they will be able to pass it on in the future.

We are so very lucky to be training in a traditional martial art. In a world where it seems to be every man for himself, we strive to give to each other and our community. We learn empathy and compassion, as the back bone of our self defence. And because of this, we can change the world.

No comments: