Sunday, August 7, 2011

Forms

I have been thinking about the progression of my Kung Fu. Where it has come from, and how it has developed over time. What are my favourite things nows, are not necessarily my favourites from the past.

I love forms, Tai Chi included. I love how they feel, and the flow that comes with them. I have been working on them lately in slow motion, so that I can focus on how each stance feels, and how they connect to the next technique. My biggest challenge has been the Hung Gar forms, as my hips just don’t seem to want to cooperate. However, by slowing them down, I think they are coming. Nowhere near perfect yet, but slowly getting better.

I am also aware that I have to by mindful of how much I slow my forms down to pick them apart, as something that has always eluded me is speed and power. In the past, (and probably still now to a degree) always look like Tai Chi. Too much flow. I guess the balance comes in practicing forms slow, and then going full out to make sure that whatever changes I have made will continue to be present when speed and realism are added.

The other challenge, is how to express my passion for forms to my students. How can I make them excited, and want to practice them? Hopefully, that one will be a continuous one, that will keep my passion sparked.

No comments: