Sunday, March 20, 2011

3 Laps and an 80 pound push




One of my goals for this year was to run the PARE test. It’s the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation, that all RCMP applicants and most member’s need to complete. My test is on Wednesday April 13th, and so this past Wednesday I went down to the gym to give it a try. My purpose was to see what it was like, and perhaps adjust my workouts accordingly.

I ran 3 of the 6 laps, and holy smokes batman! It is harder than it looks. It’s like an obstacle course for grownups, and has a easy look to it. But it’s not that simple. I know I can do it though, but that’s the easy part. The hard part is that you immediately go to the push/ pull machine. There are 6 180 degree rotations you must do while pushing/ pulling the appropriate weight. I was given the applicants weight of 80 pounds. I mentioned in a previous post that 80 pounds is 2/3 of my body weight.

Again, holy smokes batman! Pulling wasn’t too difficult, as a good horse stance is all I really needed. Walking that way was a little more challenging, but not as challenging as the push. I could get the weight up, but walking/ cross stepping while doing it is almost impossible for me. I don’t have the upper body strength that I thought I did. Hm.

Anyway, while I was really sore in my shoulders the next day, I am really looking forward to April 13th. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Yitzik said...

Good Luck!

This sounds very interesting. Can anyone take this test?