Sunday, March 7, 2010

Leadership and lollipops




How do lollipops fit in with leadership? They don’t really, but it is a sweet thing when you see your child or student take leadership seriously.


We all have different ways of expressing our leadership. But the common denominator is through example. We can talk the talk all we like, but unless we are seen doing what we say, the words mean nothing.


Some of us are quiet leaders, in that we don’t spend much time talking about what we are doing, and are mostly just doing. We may not even be aware of it, but people see what we do, and they aspire to do the same. For example, you could see a person picking up garbage and without them saying anything, you find yourself picking up garbage too.


Others are more vocal leaders. They talk the talk, and walk the walk. Their words alone are inspiring, but when you couple that with actions that support the words, the leadership is more noticeable.


I think we all have our leadership strengths, whether we can outwardly pinpoint them or not. I believe that through Kung Fu, we are building leaders everyday.


As a parent, I feel that I need to set an example for my children. I follow through with what I say, and I try very hard not to contradict myself. That is a challenge sometimes, because I am not always in the right mindset to be as firm as I need to. As a student, in order to have the privilege to learn, I need to live up to my instructors’ and my expectations. I know that my instructors will be less willing to teach me, if I am all talk, and not willing to take initiative. As an instructor, I need to show my students, that I am going to do what I say, I am more than willing to admit I don’t know something, and I am happy to do pushups or whatever right alongside them.


As a parent, I believe strongly that my children know right from wrong, and I believe strongly that Kung Fu reinforces that. I have to accept that they won’t always make the right choice, but with a safe home and a safe place to train, they will learn.


Consistency is important in leadership as well. How can you lead if you only do what you say sometimes? Or don’t always follow through on your commitments? I know that sometimes, it isn’t always easy. I happened to give out my first grounding two weeks ago. I can’t begin to say how difficult it was, and how much more difficult it was to stick to my guns. Maybe I overreacted, but I am determined that both my children and I learn from this. I believe that I am raising leaders, and even through a grounding I saw leadership. There wasn’t any shown in the incident, but I know it’s there. However, I wonder how much is due to my parenting alone, or how much Kung Fu has influenced that?


Being a leader, is more than just coming to class and doing what you are supposed to be doing. It is trying to do your best, be your best, at all times. Home, school, Kung Fu, and within our community. It is about follow through, consistency, passion, and hard work.

No comments: