Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mental vs. Physical




Next week I am walking 5 km in the Trek for Tourette. I have never undertaken anything like this, although I am currently not seeing it as a big deal. Am I underestimating the trek? Will my ankle be okay? Is my fitness up to par?


I feel that I am in pretty good shape for the shape I am in. I do a lot of walking everyday, although I don’t log it, so maybe it isn’t as much as I think. I don’t do any formal training when it comes to walking distances, but I feel that it won’t be a problem.


But will it? I think that perhaps this week, I should prepare. How though? I have pedometer, so that might give me an idea of how much I am actually walking. I have to be more mindful this week - Am I walking with a purpose and in the moment? Or am I walking with my mind on a hundred other things, and only putting one foot in front of the other?


I will need to drink water during this walk. How am I going to accomplish this? Maybe I will wear a backpack, so that I can put my water there, or should I just carry my bottle? Something to think about. Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I think maybe I am just thinking about it too much.


I know mentally, I am a little anxious about the walk. Not the walk itself, but the experience. I don’t know what to expect, and so feel a bit unprepared, and unable to do so. But perhaps that will make it more meaningful to me, and will keep me engaged in it. I do know this however. It is for a good cause, and any awareness I raise is a good thing.


The couple of students at Silent River with Tourette’s inspire me, so therefore, this is an important event for me.


Next Sunday, March 21st, at 2:00. I will be there, and I will be walking.

No comments: