Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009




A new year is upon us. Time for new challenges, new experiences, and new opportunities.


Looking back on the past year for me, has been full of disappointment, but also proved to be a great time for learning.


2009 began with a triumph for me, but was somewhat hampered with a significant injury. After training for 6 years, and after many sacrifices, I earned my blackbelt. It is a moment that I will never forget, and if I can keep it in front of me, then I believe that I can remain humble about my training and the constant learning it involves.


It seems that for every step forward, I take at least one step backwards, but each time I learn. Even if it’s for a short time. Meeting Master McNeill was a truly amazing experience. And the chance to train under him for the two days was something I will never forget. And his cane curriculum gave me something to train hard at without injuring my ankle further. It kept me going, when my spirit didn’t want to.


Over the past year, I have started to learn to train smarter. Not to say that I always do, but I am working on it. I have adjusted my approach, and it works for me most of the time. It has also helped having my “conscience” being my peers at the kwoon speaking up when I push too hard. I am thankful for that.


Personally, this also hasn’t been my healthiest year. I have had the swine flu, suffered from very low potassium, and have had some emotional obstacles to conquer. On a positive note, my migraines have been less frequent and less severe. Wahoo!


But at the same time, I paid off a good chunk of debt, and while I dinged up my one car, I also have a new one. I have also watched my children grow, and am in awe their innocence.


It has been a year of disappointment, but also a year of triumph. I am excited, and maybe a little apprehensive of the year to come.


My thanks to my Kung Fu family for the support and encouragement. I wish you all the best in the coming year.





No comments: