Monday, May 4, 2009

I missed out on something, but gained something else.


I missed the tournament on Saturday due to a family in need. Mine. My daughter needed a few fillings, but freaked out at the dentist so we had a visit with a dental surgeon on Friday. She was really brave, and I am so proud of her too.

I feel like I lost out on the tournament. I really wanted to be there, to be a part of the lion dance, to see the kids I teach perform, and to just absorb our school spirit. I am disappointed, but I did gain something from missing it. Maybe two things actually.

First, I gained some precious time with my youngest daughter. She doesn’t need her mommy too often, and I am pretty busy too, so her needing me was not something to turn away from. I experienced joy with her, one on one, and was there with her as she recuperated. I got to think of the great things about having silver teeth to convince her that her smile was still beautiful. I got to cuddle with her on the couch and watch movies while she got over the anesthesia.

Secondly, I gained appreciation for our school spirit and am proud to be a part of it. I missed the tournament, but the spirit was still there when I went to class today. I am a part of something special - my family, and my Kung Fu family.

No comments: