Monday, February 26, 2018

Abstraction


Saturday we walked in the Coldest Night of the Year fundraiser with the Csillag family and the Bjorkquist family. This fundraiser was for the parkland food bank, and was important to bring awareness to, as well as raise funds for.

Where I felt the most impact, was how much the inability to buy food was such an abstraction for me. I always try to buy a little extra when I buy groceries and place them in the food bank bin on my way out. But that isn’t enough. I believe the effects are similar to just writing a cheque for a charity without caring or understanding why you are doing so.

It reminded me of the periods of time in my life where I struggled to put food on the table. It was a reminder that people of all circumstances, near and far struggle with the same issues. How something that I take for granted is a luxury for so many.

So how do I keep this in front of me? Why is it easier for me to keep the charities we support in front of me, but yet all of these others are still an abstraction? I don’t have an answer, other than to reflect, and to be grateful every day.

I want to thank the Csillag family for leading our team in this. I had a wonderful time, and am so very glad that we were able to participate.

No comments: