Monday, April 10, 2017

What's happening?

I read an article today that both breaks my heart and angers me. And makes me feel helpless, and want to do something at the same time. I want to believe that I am dreaming, that mankind can't possibly be this cruel and let this happen. But yet I'm not dreaming. I feel like I am living in a world that is falling apart. And what is left behind for my kids? For their kids?

The U.S. president just passed in a law in Alaska, allowing people to kill hibernating bears. Hibernating bears! They're sleeping for goodness sakes! You can lure them out with food and shoot them at point blank range. You can trap wolves while they are in their dens with their cubs. And this is all legal. How is this right? People can have zero compassion and kill them simply because they are considered predators? Guess what? We need predators. They are the ones that keep our ecosystem in check, and the whole circle of life going.

The mentality seems to be that they are causing problems, wandering into our towns and putting us at risk. Well, we are the ones taking away their natural habitats. We are destroying their homes. Where else can they go?

Who gives us the right to be so irresponsible? Who stands for these helpless bears and wolves? I'm sorry. Well, maybe not. It really upsets me to see this happen. It upsets me and angers me that this man is allowed to make decisions that will impact our future.

We need bears. We need wolves. We need trees, and clean water. We need to stop worrying about how many "things" we have and start worrying about the destruction we leave in our wake. We need to stop, and reflect, and understand and respect our vast ecosystems. This earth is what allows us to live. It's time we take responsibility.

And that's my rant.

1 comment:

Daniel Sollinger said...

It is quite sad. You would think with the education available, people would be able to make more informed decisions than these.