Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Balance

There is a constant battle when it comes to the balance between being a Kung Fu parent and an instructor. I know I have high expectations of my girls as martial artists, so knowing when to push them and when to back off can be difficult.

As an instructor, it's my job to challenge our students to be more than they thought they could be. To find ways that work for each individual as we are all different and have different needs. And to find creative ways of doing so that staying engaged isn't too hard.

I don't always know when I am pushing my daughters when maybe I should be relaxing and giving them a little space to grow. Or vice versa. But now that I write this, I see that I have to try to take how I treat myself - when do I recognize that I need to push harder, when I need to back off a little and then how to apply it.

I want to do what's right for my kids, and what is right for my students. I know it's something that exists with give and take, and I think that by simply taking a step back every so often, I should be able to stay aware.

I don't always know what the best path is, for my kids, myself or my students. But I will always try, and will always ask for help when I need it. Because the way isn't always clear, I need to trust my instincts, and keep moving forward.

No comments: