Sunday, February 21, 2016

Different

A question that Sifu Brinker asks all of the newly promoted black dragons is "do you feel different?" I know now what that feeling is. Not so much that I was promoted, but more that this coming year will be different. I still plan on coaching, so the I Ho Chuan will still play a big part of my life, but today I do feel different. My goals for the year are perhaps a little more flexible, but some things will not change.

Part of the IHC program is sustainability. Once a goal is broken down and done consistently for a year, it becomes a lifestyle change and is therefore just what we do. I will still challenge myself though, and will keep on learning.

Last night was a great night. It was a bit exhausting, and the migraine I developed during the early evening didn't help, but it was still a night to remember.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too self serving but I have to share. I feel blessed for a couple of reasons about the IHC performance last night. I wasn't able to do a live performance the night I was promoted to black belt, due to a broken ankle. And then for my second promotion, the current structure wasn't in place, so not performing wasn't a huge deal for me. It was simply the accomplishment. However, last night I was able to perform on the night I was promoted. Maybe it isn't such a big deal, but it made the night more special to me.

I am so proud of the new black belts. Two of you I have had the pleasure of watching from the time you were 3 years old. I am so happy to welcome all 4 of you! And a big congrats to Sifu D. Regier!

No comments: