Sunday, March 9, 2014

Respect and compassion

This week proved to be a learning experience. As I listened to my friend and empathized with her situation, I found myself in the middle. I had also taken on her problems and ended up being reminded that the solution starts with respect. I needed to take a step back and look at the situation with compassion and while I may not respect a persons actions, I still we'd to remain compassionate. There must be underlying seeds that have grown into something unkind, but if I also take that approach, I am not going to help anyone.

 

Kung Fu teaches respect and discipline. Respect for ourselves, respect for others, and respect for all living things. Without respect, I will not have discipline.

 

This week reminded me the importance of compassion and empathy. It's always good to step back and reevaluate things with this perspective. I can't control how others will act, but I can control how I react. And it starts with me using compassion and empathy.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Sifu It is difficult to remember these things regularly but it is almost impossible to remember them when you are in the thick of things. That is an example to us all