Sunday, March 23, 2014

Weapons

 

It may seem premature, but I have been putting a lot of thought into what weapon I should study for next year's I Ho Chuan. I have had several injuries over the years that still haunt me to one degree or another, but the one that seems to be holding me back the most is chronic wrist tendinitis. It's quite manageable for the most part, but any prolonged usage leaves me in discomfort. And with 1000 repetitions, I need to be careful.

 

So what weapon? Most require a fair degree of wrist rotation and flexibility, which I lack. I thought about a double dagger, which is still an option. However, through a conversation with Sifu Brinker, he suggested a Kwan dao. I know, right? Obviously a traditional one is out. I don't have the strength to swing one of them bad boys for sure. But Sifu Brinker had a light one - wood handle and an aluminum blade. Kind of feels like a toy, but it's perfect for me. It will use more of my whole body and less wrist (thus far) so I am excited to start practicing with it and to see if it's a viable weapon for me.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can totally see you mastering that weapon and I'm glad that there is a lighter version available. You will rock it out. :)