Monday, February 25, 2013

Pink Shirt Day

The longer I teach the kids classes, and the more my kids grow up, the more passionate I become about bullying. I'm no expert, but it is something that I continue to educate myself about, and I try to keep a dialogue going with my students. It is something serious, and no one should have to deal with it. However, it's a reality. There's an old phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me." My parents told me that, and while I know what they were trying to do, names do hurt. And nowadays, there are so many more places (public) that bullying can take place. And it isn't limited to kids either. I could go on and on, but I am not.

This Wednesday February 27, 2013 is Pink Shirt Day. It started a number of years ago in Nova Scotia, where a grade nine boy was being bullied for wearing a pink shirt. So in response, his peers stood up to the bully by showing up in pink shirts also. I am attaching a link the the Pink Shirt Day website, and I encourage you to check it out. There is also a bullying website that is hosted by the Alberta Government as well that has some good information.

This Wednesday, I am going to talk to my Advanced Black Dragons, and have invited anyone from the other classes that wishes to sit in. I plan on starting our talk around 6 pm. It isn't formal, but it is something to help keep us connected. Silent River Kung Fu is a safe place, and I hope that together, we can make a difference.

http://www.pinkshirtday.ca

No comments: