Sunday, July 25, 2010

Progressing Wisely




Training has been a challenge for me again over the past 3 weeks, due to 2 broken ribs. But it’s nothing new right? I think that I am finally have things in perspective and am at a point where I am training/ progressing wisely.


With my latest injury, I took some time off. Not completely, as I continued to teach, and practice Tai Chi, but I did not push too hard. I was/ am aware of the impact of pushing too hard, too fast. I have done it many times before. It is difficult not to train, or to see how far you can go before it hurts, and it takes many reminders to take it easy. It’s so important to know when to rest, and when to push, and I am getting better at this. I have many injuries, that have become chronic from pushing too hard too fast, and I can say that it has held me back in the past.


This time, I made sure I took some time to rest, and I stayed engaged in my training by staying involved with the school. It would be really easy to just sit at home and feel sorry for myself, but by going anyway, doing a little training, and by surrounding myself with my Kung Fu family, I managed to stay engaged. Since it’s been 3 weeks since this rib injury, I can actually say that I don’t hurt too much anymore. I still have to be careful, but it is definitely getting better.


No comments: