Sunday, July 18, 2010

Itty Bitty Acres




This spring, I joined a CSA - Community Supported Agriculture. The idea of locally grown produce, without any chemicals whatsoever, and delivered close to home weekly really appealed to me. The concept is neat - you pay in advance for the season, and then once things are grown, they are harvested and brought to you. It can be a little risky I guess, as you take a chance on the weather like a farmer would. But that risk is worth it.


Interestingly, I had seen these advertised in the US, and within a week or so of discovering those, I found an ad for one here. I was so excited I had to find out more.


It was a decision I am really glad I made. We have only had two deliveries so far, but it tastes better (in my opinion) than store bought organic produce. Maybe it’s because I know it didn’t travel far, and that it was grown with love. I am excited because it is enabling us to eat more veggies this summer, and making an impact on our environment. All it takes is one person, one choice, to change the tide.


Even my kids are excited. When I pulled out a few giant lettuce leaves tonight, their eyes grew large, and the prospect of eating a locally grown salad had them digging right in. I think I have to find a few more recipes, as there is more veggies to come, that we don’t normally eat. But I can’t wait.


www.ittybittyacres.weebly.com



No comments: