Sunday, October 11, 2009

Precious things



I have no idea where to go with my thoughts today. It has been a mentally exhausting week for me, and my brain is all over. I took up crocheting last week and I am really enjoying how relaxing it is. I am not very good yet mind you, but that’s okay. It’s been a nice way to mentally unwind.

I am a bit disappointed with the snow already. I feel like I missed fall, and I am just not ready for the cold. Thankfully it looks like the temperature will be going up a bit this week. I like winter enough, don’t get me wrong, but it just goes on and on, and it can be difficult to be cheery when the sky is grey all the time. I like having 4 distinct seasons, so I can’t imagine living anywhere else. But it would be really fantastic if winter was only 2 months long. That I could handle. Oh well.

I do love the days, where the cold has made the trees all frosty, and the air is so crisp that it feels unbelievably clean and fresh. I love watching giant snowflakes fall to the ground, on days where there isn’t any wind, and they softly drift to the ground. Where they are so big that you can see their designs on your mittens before they melt away.

Those are things that bring me into the moment. They make me stop, breath and reflect on the now. Having kids helps me with that too though. They find the little things that I would most likely miss because I am always on a mission. It is good to stop now and then, and just be.

No comments: