Monday, February 16, 2009

Out of my comfort zone…


I began a new journey last week, and it didn’t sit too well. I have been working for my
black belt for 6 years, and after the ceremony, I felt almost lost. There was a whole new
world waiting for me, but I didn’t know what to expect. I spent the first week after the
ceremony feeling anxious.

Not only was I diving into a whole new class where I am the new kid, but I also jumped
head first into the I Ho Chuan class. Why? I guess the better question is why not?

Other than the Lion Dance, I have not gone outside the regular curriculum. I felt, that for
my journey, I wanted to only focus on the things I really needed to know. I didn’t want
to change my focus from my black belt, and felt that only once I had my basics down,
and had earned my black belt, that I could then expand my horizons.

Master Brinker brought this up recently. Stepping out of our comfort zone. I definitely
did that last Friday. I went in with a still injured ankle, so I wasn’t really able to
participate much, and ended up in a corner.

I feel embarrassed about that. I felt very self conscious in the I Ho Chuan, as well as the
Black Belt class. I don’t doubt that I earned my belt, but I am way out of my comfort
zone. I am surrounded by people I trust, so I have to just let go, and embrace the
experiences. It’s harder than it sounds though. I feel I hid in a corner – due to my
physical limitations and my mental anguish, instead of pushing through.

I do realize I am being way too hard on myself, and I am also aware that I expect too
much of myself. I also know that in time this will fade, and I will be more comfortable in
these new shoes.

(Please forgive the format - I have no idea what happened, or how to fix it. It looks okay on the other end...)

2 comments:

Darnell McKinley said...

Hey if it makes you feel any better, I am experiencing the same anxiety at returning to Kung Fu... if we were little kids we could hold hands and look cute in a corner and hope no one notices us! Just kidding.

I like your thoughts...."I am surrounded by people I trust, so I have to just let go, and embrace the experiences."

Darnell McKinley

Khona said...

Don't be embarrassed about your injuries. We all have had oopsies, and it just goes to show that you are constantly pushing yourself and expanding your limits.

And don't worry, Friday classes will begin to feel like home in no time. There are alot of good people there who will try to make you feel welcome rather than the new guy. Remember, you are already apart of the family. We don't look at who was there first or last.

Khona LaRocque