Saturday, January 24, 2009

Empathy


Having good health is something I think I have taken for granted. At least most of the time. I have seen the empathy requirements of the UBBT - 1 day in a wheelchair, 1 day mute, 1 day blind, and I think these are a great tool.

I have been on crutches for a week now, and it’s amazing how much I take for granted. My ability to walk, climb the kids bunk bed, carry things, do housework and go grocery shopping have all been affected by this. Not only do I have 1 working foot, I have 2 hands tied up with crutches.

I have felt rather helpless this week, as I have had to ask for help with almost everything. I really don’t like asking for help. So how do people that have more permanent disabilities affect me? I found myself asking would they want help? Do they want to remain as independent as possible? I think the answer would be yes to both.

I recall hobbling through my parking lot at work, trying to navigate the ice, and people just walked on by. I got caught up on some ice, and had to send my kids to get help at the Kwoon. Lots of people walked by me, and kept going. I stood there surrounded by ice, unsure of any move I made, and I felt so incredibly alone and helpless.

This brings to question, how can I do more for those less fortunate than I? I am only laid up for a short while, whereas some are permanently challenged by the day to day tasks I take for granted. I know that I need to stay in the moment more, and make the choice to offer my help.

Silent River Kung Fu’s Adopt a Driveway is really great too for empathy. Imagine being able to only stare at the driveway covered in snow and ice and feel helpless to do anything about it. Imagine not having the strength to be able to something that seems so simple. I know I would be incredibly grateful to have someone volunteer their time to shovel for me, and would not expect anything in return.

My hat goes off to all of you shovelling, and to all of you who make a difference daily in all your endeavors.

And a huge thank you to those who helped me this week. It made things much easier for me, and I hope that I can help you when you need it.

No comments: