Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pushup!


I had an epiphany the other day. I have spent the last 6 months focused on September 01. D Day for a bunch of assignments due in order to be considered for the Black Belt grading.

I have done each one with as much gusto as I could possibly muster, and now September 01 is literally around the corner. I was pondering my pushup assignment, which will be completed without any problems. But then it hit me. I can't stop my pushups as of September 01. Not only have they become a habit of my day (I do some first thing when I roll out of bed), but I would lose all the benefits from them if I just quit. So, I will continue my 150 per day, and will continue to grow stronger.

Grading is October 25. I keep this date in front of me at all times, but I have realized that I must continue my hard training until then and beyond. I definitely don't have a problem with that, and have enjoyed the focus from this journey.

I worked exclusively on Kempo this past Saturday during open training. I have put it into a training plan to practice it 5 times a day. In particular, the replacement of a particular kick. I have been doing it one way for the last few years, and now need to change it. I know that by September 15, which is my goal for this kick, it should be second nature. But anyway, it was a good day. The more I focused on a specific thing, the more little things to fix came out. It was truly inspiring.

So, the countdown is as follows.

7 days until September 01.
47 days until October 25.

No comments: