Sunday, July 27, 2008

The values we learn


On Thursday this week, I was reminded of the values that Kung Fu helps instill in our children. I had a trying time with Maya who had a pretty rough day. She had a huge meltdown at daycare, and then had another one when I picked her up from there to go to Kung Fu. (And this was the same day that during a conversation with my best firend, we were discussing how much better she seems to be at handling her emotions lately.)

I managed to keep her meltdown from getting out of control and she was pretty calm by the time we got to the Kwoon. She had something to eat, and was listening to her favourite songs. So when she tried to climb back into the car when I dropped her off, I had had enough. I started to cry, and didn’t quite know how to handle her. Ultimately, I managed to get her to stand on the sidewalk while I parked my car, and while waitiing her out, she gave up and went in for her class.

Still being lost, I called the studio and spoke with Sifu Freitag, who after asking if I was okay, proceeded to reassure me that they would watch Maya and take care of things.

I have a guilty nature for whatever reason, and so felt just horrible to be dropping Maya off in that state of mind. I was sure that she was going to give them a hard time too, and what kind of a mother was I for dumping my child off for someone else to deal with?

On the way home to make a really quick supper for both girls, I took a step back, and reminded myself of what Kung Fu teaches our kids. I want Maya (and Haley) to learn respect, focus, and discipline. So I wasn’t dumping my child off, I was leaving her in a class, where the instructors are very capable of handlng this sort of thing, and ultimately teach them the very things I want them to learn. So I wasn’t a bad parent, although I still felt like one. I was a parent taking care of things - herself and her children.

My girls have learned so much and have benefitted so much from Kung Fu, as have I. It turns out, that Maya had a great class, and they didn’t have any problems with her. What a relief.

67 days left to train until grading.

No comments: