Sunday, July 13, 2008

In passing


When I decided to blog, I committed to writing once a week. I haven't had much in the way of problems doing this, but today I found myself at a loss. I couldn't stay focused for more than two minutes, however now that I have started, my thoughts are coming.

Sihing Prince wrote about the Dancing Guy, whom I have seen many, many times on Campsite road. I find him entertaining as a rule, and I always smile. However today, I found myself wondering about him and what kind of a person he is? The girls and I went for a bike ride to the grocery store, and had the chance to pass him on the sidewalk. What scared me, is that I have always seen him from the safety of my locked car. Now I had to pass him in person, with my girls in tow. He could be absolutely harmless, but how could I know?

This got me thinking about an incident this past week too. I feel I shouldn't have much to fear where I work, as I am surrounded by RCMP members. However, as I pulled into my parking lot, I noticed a woman wandering around. I watched her head towards the gas station, and once I had gotten out of my car, she was heading in my general direction. I was really thankful that a member got out of her cruiser at the same time, and this woman approached her for money/ help instead of me. It really got me worried about all the staff in my building that probably wouldn't know what to do in a wiggly situation like that.

I have taken Kung Fu for many years, and I feel relatively confident that I could protect myself. But the biggest battle is avoiding those situations all together. I hope that somehow, through my training, and by leading by example, that more people will be aware of the possible dangers out there, that we don't usually give a second thought to.

As it turned out, Dancing Guy passed us without saying a word. I don't like that I made a potential judgement against him, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

No comments: