Monday, July 6, 2020

Things I have learned from my dog...


Things I have learned from my dog...
...over the last several months.

I have learned that routine is good. I have learned that it’s ok to stop and recharge. I have learned that snuggling is good, and so is lying outside in the sun. I have learned to stop and play, and to live in the moment. I have also learned to stop and take in my surroundings, and that exploring is important to satisfy curiosity.

I have learned that I can apply all of this to my Kung Fu journey. A training routine is good. You need a rest day. You need to try to have some fun with it. You need to be in the moment so that you learn and ask questions.

We need to be grounded, and we need to ask the right questions. We need to be aware of how our bodies move, and if it doesn’t feel right, then why? And we need to stay engaged. How? By keeping a routine, by trying to make your journey “fun”. Throw out a challenge to the school. Throw kicks over your dog, throw them a ball to chase and do as many pushups as you can before they get back. Come up with a project. Or ask questions. Whatever your strategy, make sure it’s pertinent to your journey, and make sure you know what you are after instead of just going through the motions.

Who knew a dog could teach so much?

No comments: