Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Hero


I watched the documentary Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood twice and both times left me in awe and wonder. I watched that show as a kid, and yes I am dating myself. But the lessons he put into his program were amazing and what the world needed, and in my opinion, still needs. I don’t recall the lessons and wisdom that I was exposed to as a child, but I do remember how they made me feel. They made me feel good. It was a calm program, which touched on the important everyday things that us adults tend to forget to help our children with. Things like death, divorce, war, and tolerance to name a few.

Fred Rogers was an amazing person. He wrote the program, produced it, acted in it, wrote and sang the songs, and voiced the puppets. His calling and passion was children. I connected with this passion, as I am most comfortable with children. When I teach Kung Fu, I am most comfortable and confident with the kids. Put me in a room full of people, and I will find the children there and chances are I would prefer to play with them than to mingle with adults.

Watching this documentary reminded me that the world needs more compassion, tolerance and kindness. The world needs more leaders who inspire these qualities in us. Fred Rogers passed away in 2003. He will be missed. One of my heroes and I didn’t even know it until recently.

No comments: