Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ahhh, titles...

Yesterday was a day of examining more of my Tai Chi in a different way, and also a rediscovery of what can keep little ones engaged. It was a little overwhelming to see how much more I have to learn in Tai Chi, but it's good too as I think it will help all of my Kung Fu in the long run. The discovery is hard to explain, but I see my six harmonies developing more over time through it. And if I pick a few things to work on at a time, it shouldn't be an overwhelming process.

I find teaching to be full of self discovery. You can learn a lot from teaching, and it can be as simple as assisting in a class. We are always students, and the road to mastery is a long one, but it is incredibly rewarding if you let it. I admit, it can be hard to translate your passion so that you reach all your students, but that's where we learn to adapt to their needs, and why it is wonderful to have a few instructors on hand. We all have different methods and approaches, and there isn't a single one that will reach every single student. But I think to inspire, we need to let our passion guide us, and to find fun and interesting ways to present it.

I was also thinking about leadership and what makes a good one. Sometimes, it's taking initiative and doing what needs to be done. Sometimes, it's stepping up and supporting a leader by inspiring those around us. It's looking at a person, seeing their strengths, and encouraging them to share them. A leader can be the quiet person, silently doing what needs to be done. Sometimes, it's as simple as showing up. I bring this up because I try to read all the blogs regularly and I see strengths that don't seem to be utilized. Perhaps its a matter of the student not seeing it, but leadership comes from within and we all have that potential. We just have to look inside ourselves and believe. Everyone of Silent River Kung Fu has something amazing to offer. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to come together to discover it.

No comments: