Sunday, June 19, 2011

The art of Journaling

Journaling, whether publicly or privately is a very powerful tool. It is a way of capturing your thoughts, emotions and experiences in a way that is easy to review down the road. Sifu Brinker has said that a picture can capture a moment, but a journal will capture how you felt in that moment.

I have been journaling publicly now for at least 3 years, almost without fail once a week. I have missed a couple but have missed it when I haven't. Sometimes it's a struggle to find something to write, but most of the time, once I start, the words just come out. I don't journal for anyone but myself. If someone gets something out of reading it, then that's cool, but it isn't my purpose. I like going back in time and seeing how I have grown in my martial arts and as a person. It's a reminder of where I have come from, and gives me a clue as to where I am going.

It is a tool that I recommend to anyone, publicly or privately. It is good for the soul and for the spirit.

No comments: