Sunday, February 27, 2011

A healthy weight




We had our UBBT8 meeting yesterday at the school (student members), and we have decided that as of March 1st we are going to log our diets for one month. I followed the one they did last year, and it looks like it would be a great tool to see what you are putting into your body. Whether it’s balanced, or if you are getting enough of the things you need to maintain our athlete’s physique.

We also talked about taking care of ourselves - recovering from injuries etc. It is important and is something that I need to constantly remind myself of.

Because of the requirement to take care of oneself, I am not participating in the diet blog. About a thousand years ago, I journaled my diet. But this moved me into a state of mind, where I began to obsess over food, and my intake was severely limited. This lasted for too long, and it was a long haul to get to a point where I no longer obsess about food, it’s fat content or how many calories are in it. I am at a good weight now, and because it was journaling that started that dangerous journey, I will not participate. However, I will share some recipes though, and encourage those around me.

At this point, while I am aware of what I eat, I no longer worry about how much. I am aware of the choices I make, rarely eat meat, and I opt for the most natural choice available. It is not healthy, to obsess over what you eat. Nor is it healthy to eat whatever you want when you want it. The key is awareness - being in the moment and thinking about what you are eating, where it came from, and the fuel it is giving you.

Thich Nhat Hanh/ Dr. Lillian Cheung’s book “Savor” is a book worth reading, with regards to awareness. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Sifu Robyn Kichko said...

I look forward to seeing some of your recipes. By the way, that is participating! I think that I have a smoothie recipe that you might like, it is packed full of wonderful nutrients.