Sunday, June 1, 2008

What to do...


Every morning during coffee break at work, we watch a national news channel. There has been an ongong story where they are interviewing Canadian athletes going to China for the Olympics.

What makes me upset is that they are so focused on the possible medals to be won, not the recent death and destruction caused from the May 12 earthquake. Tell me please what is wrong with us when we can completely disassociate ourselves from this tragedy?

I can completely understand the absolute devotion and training that would have to go into training for the Olympics and not being able to just shut that off. I mean, it’s a life’s dream to be able to participate in something so global, and a chance of a lifetime. (Training for a black belt could be considered the same such dream, but probably not to the same scope.)

But with that said, I personally would be so filled with guilt that I doubt I could perform at my best. Knowing that only kilometers away, approximately 100 000 people have died and more than a million are homeless and starving. How could I live with myself? How can Canada as a nation be so focused on the Olympics and not on trying to help rebuild the country? If we cannot help our fellow man in a time of need, then it’s no wonder our world is in the state it’s in. I personally feel that the athletes and any others should not only be assisting financially, but should be over there helping to rebuild the nation. Look at what the 100. and the Rural Studio accomplishes in Alabama. It is amazing and should become more global.

I could go into a miriad of other segways with this, the issues in Burma, the China/ Tibet issue and so on, but my point today is on the Olympics themselves. They open us up to wordly issues, and to a degree brings the world together on an equal playing field. But in my opinion, for right now, the Olympics should not be a focus for anyone. Families have been torn apart. lives lost, houses and businesses completely destroyed. Is there clean water? Food?

I doubt I will feel comfortable watching them, when I know as a Canadian we will not be represented as the country we are. It astounds me, how selfish we have become. As Master Brinker posted today, I am also very fortunate to have the life I have. And we cannot foget the world around us.

No comments: