Monday, May 19, 2008

My Grateful List


A while ago, I watched a video on Youtube, which was an interview of sorts on Oprah. It was a man diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, who was given 3 to 6 months before his health would take a major turn for the worse. I am now reading the book. “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch.

It has me looking at my life, what I have done so far, and wondering where I am going. I have also been inspired to start a “Grateful” list. A list of things that I know I take for granted, and should make notes of often that they are something to cherish.

This will be a work in progress, as I know I can’t think of everything in one go. And this is in no particular order. I am grateful for...


1. My parents. (They gave me life, and supported me even when they disagreed).
2. My girls.
3. My career.
4. My Kung Fu.
5. My failed marriage (This one because without it, I probably wouldn’t have numbers 2, 3, and 4.)
6. The phenomenal instructors at Kung Fu. ( They have offered so much support and inspiration over the years).
7. My health.
8. I live in a place that is relatively free from natural disasters so far.
9. Freedom of speech
10. Being able to follow my own religious beliefs without fear of prosecution
11. The opportunity to pursue education
12. The opportunities every day to make a difference somehow.
13. Meeting my best friend and soul mate.
14. The serentiy at my parents acreage. I can listen to the frogs, the grouse, the birds all day long. Not to mention the wind in the trees.
15. The ability to enjoy the simple things, like blowing bubbles or flying a kite.

This list is going to grow and I plan on adding to it constantly. This list is now something that I can look back on and gather strength from. It is also humbling to realize just how good I have it here.

I hope to live for a long time yet, and I hope to make the most out of every moment because we do not know when it is our turn to go.

No comments: