Sunday, March 16, 2008

Project Earth Day - The Lorax


I found myself in Chapters the other night, and came across a Dr. Seuss book I have not had the pleasure of reading. It’s called “The Lorax”. It was written about 40 years ago, and addresses the state of our environment and what happens when we disregard it in search of fulfilling our greed. It was an amazing read. I noticed that it was printed on recycled paper, and is actually being used as a tool for Earth Day, which is April 22nd.

After reading it to my girls, I found myself very inspired. They asked questions about it, such as, why would he cut down the whole forest? Where will the animals go? What will they eat?

We live in a world, where our resources are disappearing. And we end up with leaders that tell us they have a plan, but won’t be ready to tackle it until 2050. That is way too late. So while I realize I cannot change the state of the world’s environment, which sustains us, I can make a start.

I am starting a project, which I would like to complete by April 22nd, Earth Day. Here is what I propose.

1) I want to encourage reading this book. It is full of great rhyming, and has an amazing message. Buy it, borrow it, read it at the library. I highly recommend it.
2) I would like each student in Silent River Kung Fu, and any friends they have, to write a letter to Mother Earth, saying what they can do to help save her. Pictures are great too.
3) I want to publish them on a blog, for the world to see our message. In doing so, I think we can raise a lot of awareness towards our environment, and together we can make a difference.
4) I will have some pre-printed standard letters available at the front counter, but will accept any medium for this project. I encourage the use of recycling paper for it - used wrapping paper, or the back of “garbage” printouts. Whatever you wish, but let’s try to be environmentally friendly.
5) I am also hoping to gather some tips, and put them into a guide book of sorts. Again online, so that we can access ideas to put into use.
6) When you have your letters finished, leave them at Silent River Kung Fu, and I will collect them.

That's it for today. I look forward to reading the letters!!!

No comments: