Saturday, February 13, 2021

It’s Now

 




As I sit here with our most senior cat asleep on my lap, I can’t help but think about the knowledge that we lose when someone is no longer with us.

For example, my husband’s aunt is the record keeper and historian in the family. She has ties to all of her family near and far, knows so many stories and has oh so many memories. How do we hold on to them after she is gone? I am positive that a lot of that knowledge and history will be just gone.

In speaking to my aunt the other day, she mentioned that she was going through pictures and said that she doesn’t know much about them, but my mom would have. Mom was our historian.

And then there is Kung Fu. It’s over 2 thousand years old, but what knowledge do we really have? How much of Sifu Brinker’s knowledge will eventually be lost? I found myself looking at the nafudakake last week, and again wondering about all of the Sifu’s that no longer train with us. A bunch of them I have never met, and the same with all of the students no longer training.

It occurs to me that time is precious. It’s important to know our past, but it’s more important to know our present. I need to make the most of now, so I don’t miss anything. It can be easy to get lost in the tomorrow’s or the yesterday’s, but really the time is now.

No comments: