Sunday, September 11, 2016

Humble pie

This past week both humbled me and made me proud. Two of our young students, an orange belt in the intermediate black dragons, and her little sister in the lil leopards class, both cut off their long locks and donated them. The girls recognized the difference they would make to other kids who are without hair due to medical reasons, and they did so with open hearts.

 

We can learn a lot from an act such as this, as it changes the lives of the kids they help. These two girls have demonstrated empathy and compassion at a young age, and that gives me so much hope for our future. Changing one life, can change the lives of so many more.

 

This isn't the first time I have seen this type of empathy in our students, particularly the younger ones. Many forgo birthday gifts for donations to charities instead. How many kids do you know that would do that? It puts a smile on my face and in my heart knowing that these young people are changing the world as we speak. One act at a time.

 

Way to go girls!!

No comments: