Sunday, December 8, 2013

Where did the time go?

My oldest daughter is 13 today, and I have found myself going back in time fairly often this past week. Maybe it's because she is officially a "teenager" now but regardless, I have been doing a lot of reminiscing.

She started Kung Fu 10 years ago, and I can clearly see how it has helped her grow into the person she is today. Well, we have all grown with Kung Fu, to tell the truth. Her first couple of months in the Lil Leopards program she sat on my lap and wouldn't make eye contact with anyone. Then she was slowly able to go on the mats after the warm up. And then about six months in, she was one of the loudest kids in there. Granted, she isn't loud anymore and her anxiety gets the better of her sometimes, but she is growing into a wonderful woman. (Makes me kind of sad though).

In my years of training, I have seen many little ones grow into big people and there are a number of kids that have grown up together in the kwoon. I think that's really awesome. I can't think of a better place to raise my kids. It has been like a second family helping to shape my kids' future. Literally, the community is helping to raise them.

Anyway, they grow up fast, and there isn't anything I can do to stop it, but I can cherish all of the little things along the way.

1 comment:

Alana Regier said...

Not too long ago I was watching a video of Kaydens first Kung Fu days (when he was 3). Seems like so long ago, even the kwoon was small with the old red mats! Enjoy every moment you're blessed with:)