Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sparring

I had the opportunity to spar in the black belt class last week, and I tell you it was better than I expected. You see, I haven't exactly sparred grownups much in the past 3 years, and it was never something I looked forward to. It used to give me a lot of anxiety and stress, and during my early sparring years as a lower belt, there were times where I just couldn't do it.

So I am very guilty of not sparring willingly once I earned my black belt. Except when I sparred with the kids in the Black Dragon classes. I guess the kids don't intimidate me, and just maybe it has helped a little with the underlying anxiety I have over sparring in general.

I felt pretty calm last week, and I actually didn't feel like I had to struggle with combinations, or finding my "in". I did learn however, that I need to protect my head more. I took a lot of head shots. :-)

I also think that lots of forms practice has helped me keep up somewhat in this aspect, but I do recognize that I am way behind where I probably should be.

This also got me thinking about the few forms that I don't like to do. And I love forms - they are my favourite part of Kung Fu. So, the moral is this - I MUST focus some more on the things that I like less of in Kung Fu - sparring and in particular Hung 1 and 2. (My dislike for that form is how linear it feels. But that could just be my perception, which will need to change).

See you on the mats!

p.s. Watch for the ongoing saga of the Black Dragons against the I Ho Chuan team!!! Follow us on Kwoon Talk.

No comments: