Sunday, May 29, 2011

It may be our last tournament

Yesterday marked our annual Tiger Challenge, which allows both locations of our school to compete against each other (and ourselves) in a warm community environment. It was a great day.

This year, one of my UBBT goals was to compete. It didn’t matter if I placed at all, I just wanted to continue to get more comfortable performing under pressure. I did alright with my individual hand form, and placed second. I don’t feel I deserved my first place in the team hand forms and I hope I didn’t let my partner down. It was a form I have done hundreds of times, as it is one of my favourites. However, when I went to perform it with said partner, by mind/ body was still in deep with my previous form. So right off the bat, my opening bow was the wrong one. Oops. Then twice more I went into a different form and caught myself. The reason we got gold is because we were the only competitors. It was still a learning experience for me, and in the past it may have frustrated me to screw up so publicly, but I was able to laugh it off yesterday. I know it was my worst performance ever, but I think because of the environment I was in, those that train with me are aware of my abilities.

I missed seeing my girls do their team weapon form, but they did very well and earned a very nice silver for their efforts. And I did get to see my oldest daughter perform a fight choreography with partner, and I was proud of how well they did.

It might have been our last tournament due to circumstance, but if it was, it was a fine, fine day to end it with. I am proud to be a part of the Silent River Kung Fu family.

No comments: